Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Do You Know Ann Lowe?


Ann Lowe
Designer

I recently received an email reminding me of this great woman.

"Being that this is black history month I thought you would enjoy this and know the legacy that you are carrying on when I think about it there are not that many African American wedding dress designers that I know about but after seeing this it just made me proud"

Did you know this woman designed one of the most famous wedding dresses in American?







Jacqueline Bouvier just married to John F. Kennedy

Ann Lowe designed and made Miss Bouvier's dress for the wedding of the century. In addition to the wedding gown she made all of the bridesmaids dresses too. What's even more amazing is that 10 days before the wedding a flood ruined all the dresses and Miss Lowe recreated every single dress in time for the big day.

Read more about Miss Lowe
Some more interesting facts:
According to Wikipedia, Ann Lowe also made the dress Olivia de Haviland wore for Academy Award win of Best Actress for To Each His Own. The name on the dress was Sonia Rosenberg.

It was tough finding a picture
Click here:
Miss Lowe was considered societies best kept secret and even though this sounds like a compliment, it is not one good for any business to be a secret. Do not keep Ann Lowe a secret anymore. Her creativity, skills, and legacy must be kept alive.
Pass this on.

2 comments:

Kia said...

I've always loved Bouvier's first wedding dress and in the days before google had no idea that a black woman had designed it.

Thanks for getting the word out!

aharrington said...

Cassandra,
My name is Andre Harrington and I teach Costume Design at Cal State, San Bernardino. I a preparing to present a research paper and was thumbing through a few google pages to update my images of items. What a surprise to find your blog with the information regarding Anne Lowe. I have been researching her life,career and historical impact off and on for the past 12 years. I would like the opportunity to dialogue with you if you permit. Any additional information or clues that you may have may help me find tune this research and publish the material as it deserves recognition. That is not to say, research materials and papers do not include her information, they just seem to scratch the surface. I intend to provide a wider scope into here life and her contributions to fashion history. Please get back to me when you can.
Sincerely,
Andre Harrington
aharring@csusb.edu

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails